Saturday, January 4, 2014

Punk Rock Grunge Nail Of The Day

Hey friends! Well the new year is in full swing and this is the first nail art post of 2014! I have been in kind of a funk since new years day (blame it in the hormones), and I wanted to do a little nail art that was more edgy as opposed to girly.

Ever since Sarah, from Chalkboard Nails did the Distressed/Grunge look, it has been wildly popular, and I have been wanting to do some, myself. It is super simple and requires about ten minutes, after your base coat dries, to do a whole hand, and no tools other than a few different polish colors.

 
Used:
 
O.P.I. - MBSW
Zoya - Darcy
Zoya - Wednesday
O.P.I. - Funky Dunky
O.P.I. - Black Onyx
 
Gah, I am so bananas over this!!! I even did it on my right hand, and that never happens with nail art! And it really is so easy, but I have a few tips/tricks if you want to try this out yourself.
 
- If you are using multiple colors, start with the lightest color first. I had to redo this mani because I used Funky Dunky first and when I applied Darcy, it looked muddy and gross.
 
- Wipe your brush off almost all the way. You don't want a ton of polish on your brush to begin with. Give it a good swipe on a piece of paper, or the polish bottle neck before you start painting.
 
- Less is always more. One of the cool things about this technique is seeing the multiple layers of color through out, and if you glob on one layer, it will hide the layer underneath it.
 
- Use a light hand. This kinda goes with the above. If you are more heavy handed with your brush, you will apply thicker strokes, and defeat the purpose of the dry brush look.
 



I really do love this, and I want to try out different colors, and definitely a neon version!!! I have seen some pretty great color combos on IG and Pinterest, so if you are stuck for color inspiration, definitely check there!

And you know what, after wearing these for a while, I was in a much better mood. Nail art is always an instant mood lifter!

1 comment:

Thank you so much for reading! I'd love for you to leave a comment or ask a question.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...